New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, April 27, 2009

Prunes Layer Cake 梅干千层蛋糕





The prune layer cake I ate b4, didn't contain prune jam in it. I tried adding in to get a slightly different coloured layer... Well, the colour outcome wasn't all that pretty either, unless I add in some food colouring. If u can't find it, just replace it with more condensed milk. I bought mine at Tesco.

I don't think I'll be making any layer cakes any near future, cos it made my electric bill sky high. I live in a house that pays comercial rates for electric and it's almost double of the domestic rate.. Not until I move into my new house (2010, maybe), only then will I embark on layer cakes again.

Ingredients (A)
225gm butter
50gm sugar
5 medium eggs, grade C
170gm Plum jam (warmed to liquify it a bit)
170gm sweetened condensed milk (1/3 medium can)
120gm cake flour

Ingredients (B)
225gm butter
50gm sugar
5 medium eggs, grade C
340gm sweetened condensed milk (2/3 medium can)
120gm cake flour
340gm dried Pitted prunes (cut into half and press flat)

Method:Ingredients (A)
1. Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
2. Add in eggs one by one. Beating well after each addition.
3. Mix in plum jam and condensed milk
4. Add cake flour to batter and mix well.

Ingredients (B)
1. Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
2. Add in eggs one by one. Beating well after each addition.
3. Mix in condensed milk
4. Add cake flour to batter and mix well.

Baking:
1. Preheat Oven in grill mode at 220C.
2. Line the base of a 9X9 inch baking pan and grease the sides. Preheat the pan over a pot of hot water or in the preheating oven
3. Place one ladle of (A) in the hot pan.
4. Spread batter evenly. Tilt pan left and right to level batter.
5. Grill for 7 minutes or until cake layer turns golden.
6. Remove cake pan from oven and press cake layer to release air.
7. Put in a ladle of (B) and repeat step 4,5 and 6. Arrange flattened prunes on top of layer (B) after step 4.
8. Continue baking cake layers alternating batter (A) and (B) until all batter is used up.
9. When done, leave to cool on wire rack for 10 minutes and overturn the cake. Peel the lining paper. Let the base dry properly and make sure the whole cake has cooled down before storing.

13/05/09: Sorry, I've mistyped the plum jam as prune jam. (Prunes are dried plums, like raisins are to grapes)
If u can't get plum jam, just do the batter in one batch. You can either add up the condensed milk or add up the sugar. If u want to add up the sugar, just follow the list of ingredients below.

450gm butter
200gm sugar
10 medium eggs
510gm condensed milk
240gm cake flour
340gm dried pitted prunes (cut half and pressed flat)

Method: Follow method of ingredients (B)


Note: If u find this cake dry, don't worry. It moistens up the next day. Anyway, it doesn't taste good on the same day. Just keep the whole cake in a tupperware.
Layer cakes can keep very well and they taste better when aged. 2 months in the fridge is not a problem. A week in room temperature is no problem. So, take ur time to slowly savour the cake, slice by slice.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,

    I'm new to your blog and saw this delicious prune layer cake u posted. If I dun have prune jam, how much more condensed milk shud I add in? Thanks for your advice.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn,
    Replacing with another 170gm condensed milk will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The prune layer cake looks delicious.Oh no!I never see any prune jam here.I don't even know how it's looks like.Can I use the dried prune that sell in the market?:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use dried prunes in the cake as well. I added the prune jam for fun.
    It's ok if u dun put prune jam in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    You mean we can change the knob to grill mode ? I always thought grill is for grilling meat stuff.

    Hope you can enlighten me.

    Thanks !
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim,
    Grill means "upper heat only"
    and grill is usually very hot, so suitable to cook meats with.

    Anything that needs to use upper heat only will need the grill function.

    Different ovens have different grill functions. Mine is fixed at either 230 or 250C. Some are flexible. So, You have to read your oven's instruction manual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi, i am jasmine. i enjoyed reading your blog.;), and about this cake, i wanted to ask if this cake should bake in the middle shelf or lower shelf?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jasmine,
    Top most shelf, you're going to grill it as said in instruction no 1 and 5.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Layer cake steam taste better than grill oven.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous,
    I stil prefer it to be grilled so that the butter can be very prominent and the smell of the eggs could be minimized. Anything with butter and eggs always smells better when cooked with dry heat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi wendy
    After adding the fifth egg my mixture turns curd-like. Did I beat the eggs too fast? Also, I saw most recipes w yolks n yours is w whole eggs. Any difference?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi wendy,
    My lapis mixture curdles after adding in the 5 th egg. Is it buck I beat it at too high a speed? She'd the butter b soften n at rm temp? Ur recipe calls for whole eggs whereas others use only egg yolks. Any difference?

    ReplyDelete
  13. cindy,
    Mine never curdles, as 450gm of butter surely can take in 10 grade C eggs.
    Always add the eggs one by one, beating well after each egg.

    ReplyDelete
  14. cindy,
    Oh yes, you can opt for 30 egg yolks if you prefer it to be all egg yolk.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...