New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Orange Bread Pudding



I've always thought that bread puddings were just soggy breads.... Until I tasted one few months back at Delicious cafe Midvalley Megamall. It was a croissant topped one, with hints of orange marmalade, served with I forgot what sauce. It was lovely. Actually that was my first bread pudding :)

So, I came back, tried to search online for a proper orange bread pudding recipe... I don't want to use marmalade, but orange juice.
But none!!! I found none!!!!

I came up with the recipe, and Mike says "Thumbs up". Better than Delicious. :) *Disclaimer: It's a matter of personal taste, u may think that Delicious is better*

Here are a few shots of them in different containers... Sometimes my pics are so good(IMO) that I don't know which one to take...



And here's one... naked :)





Here the recipe goes


300gm bread, crust removed, cubed (I bought one English loaf from Baker’s Cottage, was 380gm before removing crust)
70gm butter, melted
1 heaped Tbsp orange zest
180ml orange juice
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites (it’s ok if it’s got yolk streaks in it)
200ml whipping cream
2 cups milk
130gm sugar
10 mini croissants (U can get them from King’s bakery)

Instructions
1. Prepare ten 6-oz ramekins. Lightly brush them with melted butter.
2. Pour remaining melted butter gradually over cubed bread and toss. Sprinkle in orange zest and toss lightly. Set aside
3. Heat milk with sugar until sugar melts. Remove from heat and stir in cream.
4. Combine egg yolks with orange juice. Stir. Combine with egg whites. Pour egg mixture into warm milk mixture.
5. Place one layer of bread cubes into ramekins. Sprinkle on some cranberries .

6. Pour custard mixture (4) into ramekins until it covers the bread. Let it sit for a minute. Pour more until it covers the bread again.








7. Put another layer of bread cubes and put on more custard mixture until it totally covers the bread cubes. Let it sit for a minute. The custard mixture should’ve been absorbed by now.







8. Put in some more custard mixture until it covers the bread .









9. Snip mini croissants and arrange them over the bread cubes. Lightly press them. Let the croissants sit for 2 minutes, adding more custard mixture through any crevices if u see it getting dry. Let it soak soak soak.









10. When the croissants don’t seem to be absorbing any more liquid, bake it in a preheated oven at 160C for 30-40 minutes in a waterbath.






Serve the warm bread puddings with yummy orange ice cream made from the remaining custard mixture. Just cook the custard until it coats the back of ur spoon, leave to cool down and freeze til firm.

The Bountiful Bake, and it wasn't enough to go around.



Keep them chilled if not consumed immediately. Warm up in preheated oven to get a nice crunchy top, or serve cold if u prefer.

14 comments:

  1. I have not tasted this but 'Thumbs Up' from me too. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walao er…
    You not only can make a good bread,
    But you can take nice photos as well.
    Tak boleh la… I want to try your recipe when I home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley,
    thanks

    CHVoon,
    U better make, dun syok syok say only. Tell me how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, you take beautiful photos.My guess is that you are using a EOS Canon?
    I'm afraid that I will grow fat just by looking at your food photos.:)~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vien,
    Ha!! Good guess. I'm using Canon 350D. I'm just using whatever setting that Mike has set for me. It's his camera. I'm just a novice at photography. Mike advises me on how to use certain buttons, but that's all I know. kekekeke. DSLR too complicated la!
    But having a good flash helps alot. Many bloggers use daylight,but I suck with that. I can only take better pics with the help of flash, cos I don't know how to manually manipulate the settings to do daylight photography. :( That's why I'm pestering him to get me a point and shoot camera, so that I can do daylight pics, cos point and shoot settings are already preprogrammed by the manufacturer to be as perfect as possible. DSLR have to DIY ler.

    But actually, having a DSLR don't guarantee good pics. MIke can take superb pics, night view, or even ocean or whatever with just an IXUS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of bread puddings but yours make me drool and want to have some now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blessed Homemaker,
    I wasn't too..but now I'm converted.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm looks so good!!!! thumbs up !:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wendy,

    Want to ask you on the water bath. Must the water poured in be boiling hot water? Also, I have always thought that bread pudding is soft and goey but this looked like it could hold its shape. Any ideas how to make it goeey? Add more whipping cream?

    OM

    ReplyDelete
  10. OM,
    If the water is not boiling water, it will bring down the temperature of the oven and your pudding will be undercooked at the bottom and cooked on top.
    The boiling water is to regulate the heat so that it cooks faster without being overcooked.
    This bread pudding is soft inside, but has a crunchy topping. If you want urs to be all mushy, just pass the croissant toppings. Or mix the croissants with the custard mixture too and dump everything in the dish to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Wendy,

    Thanks for sharing the recipe.


    Betsi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy
    What else can I replace if I cant find mini crossiants?
    Huiqi

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi Wendy
    What else can I replace if I cant find mini crossiants

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hui Kee,
    Regular sized croissants

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...