New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, September 12, 2011

Lean Pork, Oyster and Peanut Porridge - Rice Week # 1


I came across this porridge at Cheah’s blog. Before I saw her post on this, I’ve already planned to cook mussel, lean pork and peanut porridge for Sunday breakfast. But then, as I saw hers, I can’t help but go and buy myself some dried oysters instead of using mussels. And I was totally intrigued by the fact she added in oatmeal to her porridge. Is that her method to balance up the amount of cholesterol from the oysters? Hahaha, I don’t know, but that really got me interested.


Like always, I half cook my porridge the night before, let it sit and bloom and bring it back to a hard boil the next day for a breakfast. Only takes me 15 minutes : )

You can do this the usual way, as in in dumping everything in the pot to boil. But I never like bringing back a whole pot of porridge to a boil the next day. I always always get my hand and arms scalded, due to the bubbling hot porridge. And when you reboil porridge, you can’t stop stirring, lest u get a pot of burnt porridge way before it even boils. So, if I’m doing this for breakfast, I always, always do it broth and rice separately to reduce accidents to my precious limbs.


Lean Pork, oyster and peanut porridge
Source: No-Frills Recipe

200gm lean pork, sliced thinly
3 dried oysters
½ cup peanuts (soaked for 2 hours)
5 cups water
1 cup rice
6 cups water
¼ cup quick cooking oats
1 tsp sesame oil
Good dash of white pepper
1.5 tsp salt

1. Boil oysters and peanuts in 5 cups of water for 2 hours.
2. In another pot, cook rice in 6 cups water for 40 mins or until it blooms. Turn off the heat and let it sit undisturbed.
3. The next day, bring the oyster stock back to a boil, put in sliced pork and when everything has come to a boil, put in the bloomed rice gradually, making sure the porridge comes back to a boil before the next ladle of rice.
4. Put it on high heat, put in oatmeal, and boil it lid off for 10 minutes and season with salt, pepper and sesame oil. Boil until preferred consistency. Stirring all the while.
5. Serve with a sprinkling of sliced spring onions.

22 comments:

  1. Gee, I love this type of porridge. I remember I used to eat this way back when I was still staying in Kampar. Buy from the market, from the temple area, and others too. Dried oyster is quite costly now. I always unable to cook the peanuts till tenderise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum my favorite oyster with peanuts porridge.
    Yours look really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am too lazy to cook such elaborate meals for breakfast, but would love this for lunch...however, my boys are not partial to porridge, so looks like I won't be cooking this anytime soon lol! oh, I always burnt my porridge whenever I get the chance to cook savory porridge:P Great idea the way you cook yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 好久没吃这令我回味的蚝士花生粥了,真怀恋...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel,
    Yeah dried oyster not cheap. Can use dried mussels, a lot cheaper


    Amelia,
    Simple and nice right?


    Happy Flour,.
    Thankyou and same to u


    Jeannie,
    That's why I patially cook them before I sleep and complete it the next day :)
    Get a heavy based pot, that is very porridge friendly. I justt use cheapo Ikea pots.



    “追食富迪”,
    Then cook some.... I can eat this the whole day long

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.. Oatmeal? This is the first time i heard. Would try it next time when i cook porridge
    When i cook porridge for my baby, i would just dump the grains (brown rice, millet, quinuo) into the slow cooker before i sleeps. Set the timer to 5am. By then, maid will chuck in whatever veges/fish i prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. iceamericanos,
    Oh yes, that is a good method, but I'm a bit stingy with electricity :p
    I have a timer, and used that for my kid's porridge but not adult's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the link and I'm glad that you enjoyed the porridge with oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I have a bowl, please. I love this type of porridge but have to omit the dried oyster. Not a fan of it. I will make rice porridge once the weather turns cooler. Now still too warm to have it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i will definately put in some dried oysters if they are available in my house. Can you tell the oats in there when you're eating this? quite interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheah,
    thanks for the idea :)



    Gert,
    I don't eat the oyster. Just put it in for flavour :)
    Heard there's a heat wave? isit?


    lena,
    No woh. Can't find any oats in it, but the porridge is very smooth. And definitely more nutritious with the additional fibre. It's a quick way to make a smooth bowl of porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wendy you won't believe it! I was just thinking about this porridge yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edith,
    then try it with some oatmeal, it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the idea half cook the porridge at night and hard boil it in the morning.Thanks for sharing the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good to eat this porridge during warm sunny weekend......nice lah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmm...sedap3....hehehe..Wendy,nampak sedap sangat bubur iteww...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice yummy porridge! yes, the bubbling hot porridge always scald my fingers, thanks for the tips on how to prevent it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE this, it's my sister's favourite porridge when she was young. I like how simple and delicious it is! the one we get from the food centre is minus the oysters though of course. very interesting that you split the process into two days!

    ReplyDelete
  19. 最近很想吃清淡点,这道花生粥来得正是时候。

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi, may i ask why you add in oatmeal at the end? i've come across a few recipes using this ingredient but often wondered why.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lilian,
    It makes the congee/porridge smooth. Add in more fibre, good! It helps if you're planning to make a quick porridge but can't wait for the rice to fully bloom and get smooth and thick, oatmeal will give you a helping hand with that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...