New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, September 6, 2013

Traditional Mooncake


My first attempt at making mooncakes. So bear with me, the mooncakes don't look perfect.
I don't bake everything perfectly each time and I'm not shy to admit it.

It's ok, it's a been there, done that. And for those of you who have been asking me whether I have mooncake recipes, here you go.
I don't know if I'll make more mooncakes, as in baked mooncakes, real mooncakes as I seriously don't enjoy eating a lump of filling. It's just a personal thing.




The outlook of my mooncake is all my fault.

I overdosed on the alkaline water. Cos I didn't bother to take out my measuring spoon, and added in too much. My mooncakes look soooo dark.
I didn't really bother to read up much on how to do it. I read just 1 blog and that was it. Lazy :(
I didn't know that resting between bakes was crucial and hence one of my mooncake cracked.
I forgot I shouldn't be glazing the mooncakes while it's hot is a bad idea. The egg yolk bubbles up and the embossed patterns are lost under the eggs.
and now.... I know.
I read all the comments on that post..but somehow, these weren't mentioned. Or maybe I didn't notice. Anyway.. my fault.


When one bakes without passion, it kills the bake.
I was totally not excited about baking mooncakes, instead was dreading the whole thing.
But then again, I'm glad that my yolks all stayed in the center and the crust was even. That was the only achievement I accomplished.

Everybody who ate this said it was dry and then wondered how much oil is in the commercial ones. They also said it's less sweet comparatively. But they would also gladly sacrifice the smoothness of the filling for less oil and sugar.

My husband thoroughly enjoyed these. He ate most of it.
And yes.. when my mother ate this, she said, the one she reminisced about was a white lotus mooncake.
I think I want to go bang my head on the wall.

Lyanne, next year you better not smuggle anymore lotus seeds into my shopping basket.


Traditional Mooncake
by Wendyinkk 
Pastry recipe adapted from Aunty Yochana
Makes 8 mooncakes

One portion (1kg) homemade Lotus Paste Filling(click for recipe)
30gm melon seeds
2 tbsp golden syrup (or you can use maltose)
8 salted egg yolks
Egg yolk for glaze

Mooncake pastry
175gm Low Protein flour
45 gm oil
100 gm Golden Syrup
1/2 tsp alkaline water
Small pinch of salt

1. Prepare Pastry dough. Mix low protein flour with salt. Mix with the rest of the ingredients until it forms a "batter". Cover and leave it for 1 hour and it will turn into a lump of dough.
2. Meanwhile, Put melon seeds onto one side of the baking pan and egg yolks on another side with baking paper underneath. Bake at 140C (preheated) until the melon seeds start to puff up. Remove the tray from oven and let both yolks and seeds cool off.
3. Place lotus paste into a mixing bowl. Add in golden syrup and toasted melon seeds. Mix it with the mixer until the seeds are well dispersed. Weigh the total weight of filling and divide into 8 portions. Roll each into a ball. It will turn oily at this point.
4. Weigh the dough and divide it into 8 portions.
5. Create a hole in the filling and put in 1 egg yolk. Seal up the lotus paste ball. Roll it back into a round ball. Complete this before wrapping with dough.
6. Flatten one portion of dough and wrap the filling in, as thinly as you can. Repeat until all are wrapped.
7. Depending on the mould you have, lightly dust the formed dough with flour and press into mooncake shapes.
8. Bake at 180C for 10 minutes. Take it out and let it rest for 15 minutes.
9. Brush the mooncakes with egg yolk, top only. And bake it again for another 10-15 minutes, check on the colour and stop when it's nice and golden. The crust will be very firm.
10. Leave mooncakes for 2-3 days for it to soften, then only consume.



crazy phone pics....



14 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy, I think your mooncakes look great considering it's the first time you made them! I love traditional mooncakes the best! And yes I really don't like commercial mooncakes these days, especially the snow skins one, the colouring is madness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why u say not perfect,u havent seen mine...oh my god..the even colour has been achieved and so did the shape...all looks good

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your mooncakes are lovely, Mine totally lost all the words, which made my mooncake experiment not worth posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy

    After reading your write up, I feel that you were quite half-hearted into baking mooncakes. My opinion is mooncakes are rather inexpensive, in Malaysia and not worth baking them.

    I visited Takashimaya Square in S'pore which right now is having mooncake fair and I was told by the sales staff of Leong Yin Pastry Sdn Bhd booth which factory is based in Penang that its supplies most of the pastes to shops, restaurant and hotels in S'pore for mooncake makings. The sales staff told me that her factory specializes in pastes only.

    However, this year, Leong Yin is in S'pore to share a pie of the mooncake market. I tasted its mooncakes and very good, very well done. Its even offer very good rates for corporates.

    Wendy, it seems like for you in Malaysia, you are more blessed with good and inexpensive festive food.

    Blessings
    Priscilla Poh
    Singapore



    ReplyDelete
  5. Priscilla,
    I'm not even half hearted. I just made it for the sake of the smuggled lotus seeds, unwillingly made these. If possible, I will never make these.
    It's not about price, when people decide to bake their own, it's always about quality of ingredients. Home bakes are not often cheaper then buying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jasline,
    Thanks. I'm quite content about it actually.
    Some people don't like it white, sadly.


    Jong,
    Not perfect, but ok. I can accept it, but definitely not best looking.


    Victoria,
    Thanks


    Experimental Cook,
    I was very nervous throughout as well, worried my time and money all wasted. I was hoping at least these were edible. As long as can eat, I think they'll be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wendy, actually it doesn't look that bad considering this is your first time. I don't really fancy mooncakes either and I won't be baking mooncakes anytime soon. Well, at least you did attempt mooncakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha...how true! Till now, I've not tried making traditional mooncake, not even from scratch for my previous mooncakes too! At least your yolk is very evenly in the centre. I could not have done that. Good first try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lotus paste mooncake especially white lotus paste, but I don't think I will be making them anytime soon coz it looks like huuuge amount of work. Also I am not that confident! The one positive thing about mooncake being expensive is that we [me and my husband] end up eating less of them, otherwise we will be exploding our consumption of sugar and fats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i notice for Lotus Paste filling, you mentioned one portion, can i know how much in terms of gram.

    thank you

    anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne,
    There is a link to my homemade Lotus paste right there, highlighted. I used all that I made.
    If I didn't remember wrongly.. I made around 1kg of fillings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. where can I buy a cake mold like that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. tari saman,
    Go to an area with Chinese people, and ask for Mooncake moulds. It's not a pan, but 'acuan'.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...