New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, June 27, 2014

Amok Trey @ Cambodian Fish Mousse - AFF Indochina~ Cambodian #3


Amok Trey is freshwater fish in a spiced egg mousse.
It is not too foreign to us, as it is similar to the local nyonya otak-otak, but quite different in many ways.

One of the important ingredients in amok trey is again, prahok. You can substitute it with other ingredients like fish sauce or shrimp paste, but I personally find the flavour profile to be quite different. The other special ingredients used is fingerroot (krachai, temu kunci).


When I found out that Noni leaves play an important part in this dish, giving it a great distinction from its cousins, I got into a shock as I attempted murder on my 'stray' noni plant just weeks ago. I went to check on it, and it didn't die, but trying to stay strong by growing more leaves. Hehehe, leaves for me to pluck! Thank you dear Noni. But then again.... I have no use for it after this dish and I am wanting to get rid of it again. It's very hardy!


I used young noni leaves and they were slightly bitter after cooking, although my bittergourd loving MIL said it was bitter, and me, the bitter hater found it OK. It's weird isn't it? I can accept it and she can't. And so, I think it's a personal thing, up to the individual whether the noni leaf is slightly bitter or very bitter or plainly not bitter.

Anyway... I'm glad I tried it.



Amok Trey @ Fish Amok

Reference: My Great Escape and Luke Nguyen
Makes 3

200gm snakehead fillet (生鱼@haruan), or other freshwater fish fillet (boneless, skinless weight)
Some Noni (Morinda citrifolia) leaves
Banana 'bowls'

Kroeung (spice paste)
1 lemon grass
1 fingerroot (finger length)
1 kafir lime leaf
2 Tbsp onions
1 Tbsp garlic
1 red chilli
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/3 tsp prahok or prawn paste
1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
Pinch of salt and sugar

Mousse
90 ml pure coconut milk
1/2 egg
2 Tbsp water

Topping
30 ml pure coconut milk
Shredded kaffir lime leaf
Sliced chilli

1. Prepare the kroeung by grinding all the ingredients together.
2. Prepare the banana leaf cups.
3. Prepare your steamer. Bring sufficient water in the steamer to boil.
4. Put some shredded noni leaf into the banana cups and arrange some fish pieces over the noni leaf.
5. Mix the kroeung with all the ingredients for mousse.
6. When water has boiled, put the banana leaf cups onto the steamer.
7. Pour the spiced mousse mixture the fish.
8. Cover and steam for around 8 minutes.
9. Prepare topping, heat coconut milk until it thickens. Turn off the heat. (or you can just spoon it over the steaming amok like what Luke did)
10. Spoon the thickened coconut milk over the cooked amok. Garnish with kaffir lime leaf and sliced chilli.



How to fold a banana leaf bowl / cup / boat




I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest Indochina Month



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...