New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Kuih Lompang Pandan


I do get occasional cravings for this kuih. No food colouring used, all natural.

Bad. As my pandan plant is half dead, so I need to buy the leaves and now that I'm working, it's not that easy for me to drive out and get it as I wish. I have time constraints.

Some northern Nonya cookbooks will call this as Kuih Kosui Pandan, but in Home Science books, they are called as Kuih Lompang, the kuih in a cup that comes with a crater filled with grated coconut. Kuih Lompang is the general name used in the Malay community.



It's an easy kuih... but a bit tricky if you want to get that typical crater look. The more cooked the batter is prior to steaming, the less dimple you have. If the batter is not properly 'pre-thickened', there will be some 'hard bottom' issues. If you don't care if it has that dimple or not.. then it's a lot easier. Just cook all the batter until slightly thickened then pour and steam.

My colleagues love this kuih. Some like the 100gm sugar version, some prefer 80gm sugar, but they will wallop it no matter how. I like the 80gm but my hubby likes it at 100gm. Go for the median then? 90gm? Maybe I should.

The only thing that deters me from making this often is the thought of the cups, LOL. I am tempted to steam this in a tray and cut.. but, where's the fun?


I love lots of coconut with this kuih. The amount shown in the picture is considered too little for me. Usually, I will eat one kuih lompang with double the amount you see here. Coconut is good for me! Except bloating issues. Don't think... eat.

The texture of this recipe is the one that I want. Twangy and soft, but still holds its shape well. Won't change a thing... maybe just the sugar to 90gm,LOL



Kuih Lompang Pandan

by WendyinKK
Makes 14pcs (50ml tea cups)

67gm rice flour (Erawan brand)
33 gm tapioca starch
80 to100gm sugar
300ml water
20gm pandan leaf (1 cup snipped)
1/3 tsp lye/alkaline water

Freshly grated coconut to serve (add some salt, optional)

1. Blend pandan leaf with water until it looks like juice and strain. Squeeze the pulp to extract all the juice. Discard the pulp.
2. Mix all the ingredients together with the strained pandan juice.
3. Pour half of the batter into a saucepan cook until the first streak of 'gel' is seen on the base, the batter should still be watery. (or zap for 1 minute) Turn heat off. Pour all batter in and stir well.
4. Prepare steamer and grease the Chinese tea cups with cooking oil.
5. Place the cups onto a steaming rack placed in your steaming vessel.
6. Pour batter into the cups until 80% full and steam for 15 mins on high heat.
7. Let the kuih cool down completely. Use a plastic knife and scrape the sides to release the kuih.
8. Serve with grated coconut.




I'm submitting this post to Best Recipes for Everyone March 2015 Event Theme: My Favourite Traditional Kueh organized by Fion of XuanHom’s Mom and co-hosted by Joceline - Butter, Flour & Me.

21 comments:

  1. 很美丽,健康颜色的传统糕点。很棒,很棒。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, 感恩有你。

      谢谢您的连接和分享。。你是"糕手"来的。如果还有好料再生菜ok。哈哈哈。。谢谢你。
      Good day!

      Delete
  2. I luv Pandan kueh!beautiful color!这个kueh的华语名字是?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 蓝蓝的天空,
    In my hometown, we speak Cantonese and we call it 甜碗仔糕, I think other places call it other names. At my hometown, the it comes with 2 options, 黄糖 and pandan..so, we just tell the kuih seller, 黄糖碗仔糕 or 煎堆碗仔糕. Not sure about other places in Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi..Wendy
    Do you need to steam the coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, may I know where to view all the kueh posted in the theme: My favourite traditional kueh. I am a new baker and I am interested in the baking. Is there a link to the March 2015 kueh blog.
    Thanks (Rachel)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the natural green colour of these kuih,so pretty
    Thanks for being with Best Recipes & share your pretty kuih with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel,
    Just click the last link with the name Joceline

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's the purpose of the alkaline water? Can I omit it? Thanks
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Wendy,
    I don't have alkaline water. What can I substitute? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lyn,
    The alkaline water gives it better texture, retains the natural green pigment, and makes it taste less cloying. It's your preference to omit.


    Petite cuisine,
    Baking soda. You can boil 1/4 tsp baking soda with the water, cool it before blending with pandan leaf. Cannot add dry baking powder directly into the batter. It must be heat activated

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it white rice flour you use?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy, tried making Kuih Kosui with your method. Like it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Wendy, I made the kuih twice, as usual your recipes r Superb. Btw, if I want d texture a little softer, not so chewy what do I do? Thanks for your invaluable advice Wendy.
    Regards,
    Keat Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keat,
    Woah.. twice oredi, hehehe.
    You can do 80% rice flour, 20% cornstarch (instead of tapioca). Maybe 10% extra water too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok ok, will do. Thank you very much.

      Delete
  15. sorry, i do not understand the pandan juice. is 20g pandan juice or 1 cup pandan juice?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chloe,
    It's 20gm of leaf, just leaf, and if you don't want to weigh it, after cutting with scissors it's around 1 cup of cut leaves, not yet blend with water

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...