New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, October 23, 2015

Banana Chiffon Cake with Cocoa Layering


3rd attempt


I experimented 3 times to get the right texture for me, with some height. So, my colleagues became my guinea pigs, of which they didn't mind. Bakes with bananas are always greatly welcomed.

I have a colleague who was pregnant at that time, and she loved this so much. It's been almost a year since she last ate a piece of this, and she still tells me she missed this.



3rd attempt, rushing off to work, no time to brush away the top crumbs.

I like to bake with pisang mas, or some call baby bananas or lady finger bananas or sucrier. They have a wonderful fragrance. Other bananas might need some adjustments to the recipe. I have only used one type of banana throughout all my attempts.

I also added a cocoa powder layering effect to please myself, visually, hehehe. Chocolate and banana, they are a great pair isn't it? But the cocoa taste isn't prominent.




Banana Chiffon Cake with Cocoa Layering

by WendyinKK

250gm peeled lady finger bananas (pisang mas/sucrier)
50gm Milk
60gm oil
5 egg yolks
125g plain flour + 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

5 egg whites (from eggs 55g each, shells on)
80g sugar
1/2 tsp vinegar
2 tsp Cocoa powder for dusting

1. Preheat oven at 180C/160(fan). Prepare a 22 or 25cm pan
2. Puree banana with milk. Mix with oil, vanilla extract and egg yolks until smooth.
3. Sift flour and mix into the banana mixture, stir until smooth.
4. Beat egg whites with vinegar until very foamy then gradually add in sugar and beat until stiff hooked peaks.
5. Put 1/4 of the egg whites into the banana mixture and fold. Repeat with another 1/4 of the egg white.
6. Pour banana batter into the egg whites and scrape the bowl clean. Fold everything until well combined.
7. Pour 1/3 of the batter into the tube pan. Level the batter and sift a thin layer of cocoa powder over it.
8. Gently spoon another 1/3 of the batter over the cocoa powder, level and sift cocoa powder over.
9. Gently spoon the remaining batter into the pan and level.
10. Bake for 50 minutes or until done. Turn the cake upside down, resting the tube on a glass to cool down totally.
11. Slice and serve.




These two pictures (above and below) are my 2nd attempt, going at 110gm flour. It was really tender but I wanted more support. The 2nd attempt had more even layers.... oh well.... nothing is perfect.



6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of cocoa layer. Thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try this recipe. <3 anything with bananas. But, if I skip vinegar , will it makes any difference? Thank youu

    ReplyDelete
  3. usna,
    Not really, just that the egg whites will be less stable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can i substitute vinegar with cream of tartar?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...